Monday, March 9, 2009

Dum duh dah DAH!

So, I saw a little button to transfer my blogs to Facebook everytime I blog, so in the future this will be occurring in both Facebook and my blog. For those on FB that are new to my blogs, my blogs are my journal. They are not pointed at anyone, or some backhanded way of hammering someone. It is my only type of journal, and it just happens to be online for others to read. Comments are welcome. . .I anticipate if there is debate it will most likely be on Facebook, but I will try to keep up with comments on Blogspot too. Further, I often just write as I think. It can be random or succinct. When I argue it generally is not a solid thesis, although at times it goes that way. Just to prepare those who are new to this. Lastly, even though its my journal, I try not to blatantly pinpoint or demean people. That is never me intention. I have at times had to be more reserved then I wanted. Part of me tells myself that you guys don’t have to read it, and part says people will read this, and so its better to be prudent. All thsa said, here is the blog: http://unintriguing.blogspot.com

I suppose some intro is in order since I haven’t blogged since December. But meh.

I've done some thinking lately. A lot.

Something I've considered before. What do we consider devotions? Reading the Bible and praying. That is good stuff, but how often do we "read" the material and not remember a thing we read? How often do we read only a chapter? Yes, you can do devotions reading only a few verses.

Anyway, all my thinking has lead me to a couple conclusions. We can't stop reading the Bible, but we need to do more than read it. Our churches are ignorant of common "Sunday school" knowledge. We need to read the Bible to learn the stories. We should know who betrayed David, and who went back to counsel Absalom. We should know "common Bible knowledge." This is the stuff on the Bible trivia cards. This is stuff we SHOULD know. This is God's Word. This is reading to gain information. With the Bible the size it is, we want to read enough so that the entire Bible becomes familiar. We want to recognize any passage. We don't want to come across passages and say "I didn't know that was in there." or "I forgot about that story." So we read the Bible for facts. Reading it through twice a year takes about 30 minutes a day (If I recall).

Well, that stuff is not spiritually enlightening. Those are facts. We need those, but we need to have more. We need memorization. We should be memorizing the Bible regularly. We had a speaker in chapel that asked anyone saved for over 4 years to stand up. Then he asked you to stay standing if you could quote a verse for every year you have been saved. Almost the whole place sat down. Now, he was clear that it wasn't a sign of anything except, that those claiming to be Christians don't even know what the Bible says. Memorization should be another part of a Christians daily practice.

Well, honestly, we aren't just talking of memorizing a verse a week, we are talking about being serious with God's Word and memorizing it. When I did quizzing I read the passage 3-4 times a day. I averaged 30 minutes a day on quiz material. It was not for doctrine or for study, I was trying to memorize.

So, we are at an hour in the Bible a day, and we really haven't had a time of study where we are applying ourselves to hear/see what God has for us. Yes, God can speak anytime we open the Word, but there is a difference between applying ourselves to that purpose, and applying ourselves for the purpose of memorization, or learning facts.

Study is the third step. Study study study. Go through a book, and outline it. Prep messages. Go through each verse. Look at the author, and the audience, and figure out the context. STUDY. Maybe study what you are memorizing, or memorize what you are studying. I'm sure there is a way to combine these. However, an hour and a half is not really that long to spend in the Word. The study is vital though. It keeps us from droning through the passages we are reading as *I* (to my shame) often do.

There is some of what has been on my mind.

This next part stemmed from some talks, that flat out left me discouraged. I talked with someone here at school. I heard a message. I talked with a couple cousins. My phone died or I would have called you too Joe. Anyway, it was somewhat discouraging.

I understand that we are (as a majority) unlearned. I understand that we stand on the shoulders of great men, and that we cannot claim truth just because they have come to those conclusions. It is our job, to analyze Scripture too. We are to pray for the eyes of our understanding to be opened so that we have an understanding of great truths. We can stand on what these have done, while at the same time holding forth the truth as our own, as long as we actually own it.

What does that mean though? To understand and believe a truth because *I* believe it? I don't think its anywhere as hard as some make it. I don't need a vast system to hold to the truth. I don't. I need the Spirit of God within me. Is there only one truth? Yes. So, what happens when I come across someone who disagrees, then we meekly, and boldly discuss our differences and humbly admit when we are wrong. We then correct our view and go on. So, something that has been undecided through all of church history. . .can someone come to a conclusion on that today? Yes, because the Spirit still is at work, and people are still being taught what is right. None of this negates the virtue of good research and hard work, but Scripture stands without a man-made system or without a tradition behind it.

I am at this moment convinced without a doubt that there are degrees of sin. One of my bigger hesitations for a bit was that degrees of Hell/punishment do not necessitate degrees of sin. I thought it did, but there was some hesitation. However, when I used that to argue for my position the response was not my fear, it was instead that there are not degrees of Hell. I have an extremely hard time when we argue without Scripture. When we argue using our definitions, and when we use our history, and our theologians and our systems and traditions it weighs on my soul. I almost reposted a 3 page paper on our last little discussion, because there was not enough Scripture there. I find that when I quote Scripture and cross reference things, I am looked down on because I have not cited someone, or multiple some ones. I also know, that it is not purposeful. I doubt any of the people I debate would thoughtfully be bothered that I quoted Scripture, but in truth, sometimes people are.

Side note: Now the argument here is that anyone can throw Scripture around. And that Scripture can be used (incorrectly sure, but can still be used) to argue anything. Yes, and no. We should still START with Scripture. Scripture is still the only thing that matters in the end. If you start arguing with tradition/systems, I don't understand that. . .at all. A few times lately, I have seen debates/discussions completely lacking the appropriate amount of Scripture.

Another side note: I have seen a lot of desire for ingenuity. This desire tends to mix with a need to be consistent with tradition. This creates systems that do not fit logically. This ingenuity is forced into a system that cannot hold it. And rather than seeing that the system no longer fits the mold of Scripture, the system is utilized. So that in points and practices we fall outside the mold. I wish I could easily transport graphics into here.

Example: A picture I've used before and I have found useful is to picture a box, kinda like a puzzle. When we have our theology lined up correctly then we are perfectly whole in the box. When we get new ideas or change old ideas they either correct or deform our view. If we were in the box then now we are sticking out somewhere, and lacking in another area. If we were not in sync maybe we are now. When we take a system of ingenuity and run with it because it is grand, we are like the puzzle worker who sees a new piece that fits old one and starts dismantling his current perfect puzzle to fit more pieces onto this new piece. Instead of realizing he is destroying his work, he only sees all the new places he is going. Often times, we don't even see where we have gone.

Side note continued: I have had people redefining the virgin birth, redefining total depravity, redefining redefining redefining. And I sit and am literally speechless. (hard to happen to me. . .but happens more and more.) These are people I love, questioning things I have taken for granted that we hold in common. And at another day and time, they will be in 100% agreement. It is just at this time, they started with a new piece and dismantled everything they ever believed. If I (or anyone) had come home from college with the argument I've heard, we would have mocked the professor and quite possibly called him a heretic. And here it is. . .

Away from my side notes. Here is some Scripture. If you got lost in the notes, read before and then jump down here.

Degree of punishment. Matthew 10:15; 11:22, 24; Mark 6:11; Luke 10:12, 14; Hebrews 10:26

Degrees of sin. John 19:11; Matthew 23:23; Ezekiel 8:5-16 (not the best example)

This is from a Bible concordance/internet search. Much I was trying to recall "just how that verse actually was phrased" so I could look it up. I was planning on Reading Turretin last night, I will at some point. Most my books are in Michigan so forgive my lack of sources. Really, I do know how to use them. There are people who have grown weary with all my sources, but that is neither here nor there.

I'll argue more or not. . .I don't know. I love my family, but sometimes we are too smart, meek, proud, humble, ignorant, ingenious for our own good. Pick one/all.

Note again: Oh yeah, I hear my blogs are like boring books where I just ramble a lot. If you find that is the case there is no need to read the posts. You are welcome, but like I said, its just my personal journal that happens to be online.

Lastly, the title is the noise you hear when you pick up the triforce in Zelda. (at least. . .one version of it.)

Grace and peace to you all.

No comments: