Monday, March 9, 2009

Addendum

Addendum after reading Turretin (one of the few books I took with me). Fourth Question, page 596 "Venial and Mortal Sin". Now, the current discussion does not involve venial vs. mortal sin, but it is here that we find Turretin's information on what we are discussing.

Notice: I referenced first at least half a dozen passages in my previous blog, and then lead to someone else to show Tradition/church history also agree. But Bible came first. If you missed it, please check them first.

We find Turretin brilliantly stating that all sin no matter what sin it may be deserves death. He references Rom. 6:23 (1), Ezk. 18:20 (1), James 2:10(3), Gal. 3:10 (2). He further uses logical references and the character and holiness of God and His glory (5).

He then goes on on page 599 to say the following and I quote: "His [Christ's] design is indeed to show that there is an inequality of punishments from the inequality of sins and in particular that homocide does not consist only in the external act." He goes on to speak in terms of "degree"s of sin, "more serious" a sin, "heavier or lighter" sins. This from the words of Christ, and he continues to prove that Paul speaks of heavier sins.

To be clear, Turretin was not arguing our argument. But he assumes the degrees of both sin and punishment, and makes it very clear. One last quote for tonight, speaking of sin Turretin says on page 601 XVIII: "Indeed it is proved that some are heavier or lighter than others (which we do not deny)." Yes, every sin's wage is death. God however is not in anyway inconsistent with His character by punishing sin more or less severely. Neither is He inconsistent with His character by rewarding people differently (which we know he does: 1 Cor. 3:10-23). I reference Turretin because I know I am a "nobody." (Plenty of people seem content to point that out, not realizing I understand it as much as anybody.) I know that my arguing doesn't seem that way, but even in knowing that fact it doesn't stop me from being 100% sure of what the Bible says. We don't need "somebodys" to tell us what God's Word says. That defeats the purpose of me being a Holy-Spirit indwelled Christian. But in the end, if we know what is right and true, then there will be "somebodys" that agree with us, and it isn't wrong for us to bring that up either.

No comments: