Tuesday, June 30, 2009

pride

When you argue with almost anyone, the whole argument is reduced from all the subtle points of either side to the pride of both debaters. It happens everywhere. When you argue with intellectuals, they are sure they are as smart as you, or have something to prove in their arena of study and so once they have taken a side, usually based on little or no data and much opinion, they proceed to defend it regardless of its actual strength or validity.

But this isn't just with those in intellectual circles. I have heard those that tend to sneer at the intellectuals doubt whether proven history actually took place because the place where they usually hear about it is from "those other people." These unlearned are proud that they have not pursued greater things. They hold to their ground as fiercely as anyone because they must not only prove their point but also that they as an unlearned have just as valuable a voice as the learned.

It is pride that gets in everyone's way. It is not a true seeking of truth. It is pride. I'm too proud to admit I am wrong. I'm too proud to admit their is value in pursuing the education you have pursued. I'm too proud to admit that you do not need my education to have a viable opinion. Pride gets in all of our way. Everyone is proud.

I was going to write an article once on Arminianism: The Christian's Pride. As Christians we need to have something we can boast about. Everyone wants to boast about something, so Arminians chose to boast about their free will.

Calvinists understand the futility of this, but then always find something else to boast in. We need to save that life because if we don't God can't do it. They don't say it like that, but that is the end result. They can boast that God needs them. It is up to them to ______. Foolishness.

Then, we see all of this pride and are proud that we are not misinformed like others. We are proud that we understand those hidden mysteries while others do not. We are proud of _____. You see? It goes on and on.

So, arguing is pointless, unless their are others around to hear. Further, it has never been our responsibility to change hearts. It hasn't. It is our responsibility to speak the truth, no matter how "pointless" it may seem. We speak the truth because the Word will never return void. We speak the truth because God can use it to minister how He sees fit. We argue for the people who are not pridefully stuck in the issue. Since they have not divulged their side, then they can listen and without hurting their pride they can change opinions when reasonable rational rhetoric has been presented.

I need to enhance my vocabulary. I have read and heard that a good way to do that is to read. I have read 2.5 books this summer. I have not felt my vocabulary being enhanced. Granted, the two I have actually finished were both fantasy fiction. The next three I finish will be theologically based, and so I should see some enhancement...right? Maybe I will gain something from the "Philisophical Word of the Day" blog I am following, or the Theological counterpart. . .maybe.

It is late and I should be in bed. However, the last three nights have all been late leading to sleeping in later, and creating an even later evening and so the cycle continues. I was in bed at 11:40 but alas, sleep escaped me, and so the cycle continues. Though, it isn't even 1:30 yet, and last night was 3.

Well, goodnight.

No comments: