Thursday, June 11, 2009

The coming thing

Phones. I think two generations ago they may not have even imagined phones as we know them today. Yes, TV introduced the shoe-phone and there it was imagined, but at my age, my grandparents would not have thought about it. They could not have imagined being "online" on a pocket-size phone. The Internet was new enough. Broadband, DSL, etc. didn't even exist. It was plain old dial-up. And we are logging on with our phones.

And with that attention grabbing introduction I will proceed to talk about the future. (In normal writing it isn't a good idea to point out your attention grabbing introduction...fyi) This is not the pessimistic somewhat dreary future that was discussed not ten days past, but the future of invention. Further, I would like to discuss this with a theological world-view. Because I don't really know what meanings any of you will assign to that, I'll try to clarify that I only mean I will comment on the theological significance of something if it calls for it.

The first problem we have in looking for the coming thing is put simply by Brisco: "If I knew what it was it wouldn't be coming, it would already be here!" We don't know what future inventions and things will be coming. Our (or my) imagination is somewhat limited. We can easily imagine scenarios similar to things we have been shown. Thus, screenless TVs, Virtual Reality, terminator vision (internet/TV/computers in our glasses/contacts), etc.

Time travel has been imagined, but theologically I believe this can be shown to be an impossibility. The very idea tends to contradict truth and absolutes. I won't go any farther with this post.

What of AI? AI as portrayed in many films is imo highly probable since I see no theological reason it could not happen. Recall however that a united humanity as portrayed in Terminator/Matrix/etc is not possible. Thus, though we may encounter AI in a form, it is improbable that it will ever become as large an issue as the above or I Robot.

What about a chair you can sit in that will send impulses through your body targeting muscle and causing genuine muscle fatigue so that "working out" no longer requires working out, but rather you sit down for however long and get up soar. Physically, I don't know if this is possible. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if this could be done electrically, or if our bodies would react right. But it could happen. Seems like it would be one awkward machine since for example the tris are flexed with an extended arm and the bis are flexed with a curled arm. But yes, it could be an invention.

But all of the above have been thought up by someone with a better imagination than mine. I am stuck reading/thinking secondary thoughts. I read fantasy and I don't come up with original. I come up with a copy. Originality tends to be difficult. I don't think that its just me, but I could be wrong.

So, now you are all disappointed because you read all that and you didn't learn anything or learn of the coming thing. Sorry. I don't know what it is. Sci-fi is full of inventions. Are these things the coming things? Or does my generation and the next already understand that though these things are only Sci-fi now, they will (most likely in our lifetime) become reality. I don't know what previous generations have thought regarding their own imaginations, but I don't see a halting to the inventing of what we have imagined aside from the theologically impossible. As we continue to imagine we will continue to invent.

But where do all these ideas come from to begin with? They are imagined by someone. The imaginations stem from something stable and solid that is familiar. This can then be transmuted into something new and foreign yet just familiar enough for belief. Then, eventually, down the road, it is invented. Or not. I'm really not an expert on the subject. Just writing because it is on my mind.

Obviously this is all contingent upon true eschatology. But we all know that.

Well, any ideas of the coming thing? Lmk, I would love to hear them.

No comments: