Thursday, May 8, 2008

fundamentalism

To put it bluntly, if fundamentalism does not have scholars, then it can expect to see its credibility and following erode. Without scholars, fundamentalism runs the risk of being dominated by demagogues and pontificateurs. Without scholars, fundamentalists will not be able to answer the current questions or even to defend their own distinctives. People will have to look elsewhere for intellectual leadership, and they will inevitably transfer their loyalties to whoever provides that leadership.

We need scholars. We need Christian scholars. We need fundamentalist scholars. This is not to say that scholarship is more important than other callings. But the consequences of not having fundamentalist scholars will likely be far more serious than the consequences of not having fundamentalist mechanics or bakers. Somehow we must find a way to encourage scholarship within fundamentalism." -- Kevin Bauder

Maybe this is why so many "Bib-stud" students at MBBC are deciding not to be fundamentalists anymore. I kept hearing over and over and over about these guys who were tired of fundamentalism. When they questioned it, they were given stock answers that made them question even more.

So, is that the problem? We lack scholars? Perhaps. Who are the "big" names in popular theology today? Piper? MacArthur? Others. . .yes, I know few of them. Others know many of them. Then we start looking at "scholars" in particular fields. Greek -- Aland. NT, others. History -- Others. They all have their own specialization, and all know many of the people in their field.

But what about fundamentalism? Do we have anyone fighting for us? Not, do we have scholars in these other fields, but do we have scholars fighting for fundamentalists? I wouldn't know it. But then I'm out of things. I'm not really sure how to even get "in." Oh well.

How do you get to be a scholar if your occupation is different from your scholarly pursuit? If I become a software developer, my research time will need to go into keeping up on my studies, and the new technology. When am I supposed to read all of Whitaker, Turretin, Fuller, Hills, Kuyper, Muller, and Pickering? The frustration of not having the adequate time bothers me. Aside from trying to reach some knowledge upon my particular topic (textual issue), I also have other reading I wish to pursue. . .bah!!!

Well, I need to write another email. . .so, I will log for now. Have a good night.

1 comment:

michael said...

YOu need to write more too. I know, I'm the pot calling the kettle high..