Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Ephesians 3:20

"Now unto him that is able to do exceediing abundantly above all that we ask or think"

I drove to WI this weekend. I have been talking to Kaylynn everyday for almost two weeks and her parents decided that we shouldn't be allowed to talk that much until we met. Specifically they decided we could talk one day a week. I found out Friday night. So I worked all day Saturday and got in my car and drove to WI Sat night. I have a house out there still.

I sat with the family in church and heads were wagging and there was a buzzing sound. Yes, there were some broken hearted girls there. /shrug, that's not my problem though, is it?

We had a sandwich luncheon thing and then an afternoon service. I followed the family to their house and then all the kids had to go outside and I sat at the dining room table across from both her parents and they had a notebook with over a page of questions on it. As they asked they checked them off. I did have a glass of water. ;)

I was relaxed, and I kept thinking, "I shouldn't feel relaxed." But honestly, it was easy. It was odd, but easy. I think I was ok, once I answered honestly and openly, and realized I knew the answers, and that I didn't have to worry about being too honest. I hate having someone say "I will never hire you b/c you were too honest." /sigh, back to topic. I was honest, and serious, and carried on conversations. It went well. You can all ask me what the specific questions are later. All in all, it took about an hour, then they let her come in and told us they were giving their approval to "court." Of course, the difference between courting (which btw, is "the christian way") and dating is that dating is for fun and courting is with the intention of marriage. Just for those of you who could never figure it out or were wondering. yeah, happy now? lol

We talked for a while, and had pizza for dinner. Her dad went to bed early and her younger sisters were soon after. The rest of us stayed up till 1:30am talking. Her 17 year old sister tried to annoy me all night and kept quizzing me. I didn't care, and handled it beautifully I might add.

Monday we spent doing w/e. It was fine b/c I hadn't seen her since the day we actually talked. So, it was different and we just needed to spend some time together. It was great. We took her sisters to swimming lessons, then we took them with us when we went into town and to the park and all sorts of stuff. It was fun, and I enjoyed playing with them. The younger one didn't like me at first. She likes me now. I guess her siblings are counting down the days till I'm back and can play with them. . .It was good. Great actually. . .better than I could have ever imagined it going.

Which brings me back to Ephesians 3:20. I knew what I wanted. And I thought I was praying for the perfect person. But she is exceeding abundantly above all that I was asking for or thinking. Wonderful, amazing, beautiful, etc etc.

We are officially dating, btw.

Going to a wedding in two days. I guess my room got volunteered for some other people. Exciting. Just what I was hoping for on this weekend I have been anticipating for 6 months. Yes, 6 months waiting for this week. /shrug, I won't be in there much anyway. I am just going to have to be more cordial than I really wanted to be, and going to have to refrain from asking if he still thinks I'm a donkey. . .or rather, arrogant donkey. What kinda punk makes that kinda character call after barely 3 hours?!?! I make good character calls generally. But when I left, I didn't know much. Dad asked. I said, "it was hard to tell" , "we didn't spend much time with him", "idk", and "he seemed ok." When he was asked what he thought he said "arrogant donkeys" (psst, he didn't really say donkeys.) So, now I'm all excited to spend the night in the same room. As long as there is no fishing line, it will be cool.

But enough negative, this week will be a blast. I make it through tomorrow and I'm home free for a week. mmmmmmm.

Only 24 days till I'm back in WI though. =D

Theology, cards, video games, laughing, talking, spending time with family. . .I wait all year for these weeks. All year, every year, and have for years.

I'm going to have to refresh some of my college stories. Like my Prof crying? Yeah, need to remember that one. Like me teaching my Bibliology class all semester? Good stuff. Like crazy people saying "God is not male." or "I understand you want certainty [regarding the words of God] but it just isn't possible." I laugh. And I know others will too. Good stuff. Of course some people have already heard all these stories. meh, that's the thing with good stories. They get told over and over. Yes, I am regulating my stories to the good story section right now.

Her dad likes MacArthur. A lot. And everything I was just about to write kinda stopped short b/c of a conversation I had right now....basically, I have never heard much good about him from anyone I respected. I knew he was off on the blood, and basically, the blood saves, sooo, yeah. He recanted that I knew, but that was all. Apparently my dad and my pastor like him though. My cousin doesn't too much, and I really have never felt any need to read him. My cousin argued that if you read Turretin you won't care to read MacArthur. Idk, can't really comment b/c I haven't read MacArthur. I do love Turretin though. I don't read many modern day writers. I have no need when I'm sitting on Turretin/Calvin/Owens/Spurgeon. I throw in a handful of other old preachers and I feel pretty comfortable.

The biggest help I could see in modern day preachers is the preaching/topics of present day discussion. Things like Theater were not really in discussion in Turretin's day. On the same note, I have pretty much made my mind up on most of those types of things. I'm not looking for validation from MacArthur. I don't look for it from Turretin either. I read Turretin b/c he answers the questions thoroughly and brilliantly. If MacArthur is easy reading....that will bother me. I am not looking for something I can pick up and read once and say "yeah, I agree." I want something that I say "Wow....I need to read it again." Some people don't want that. That's fine. Its not me. I'm almost sure I will pick him up and say "Yeah I agree." or "that was dumb." I am thinking I won't say "wow." And if I'm not saying wow...then what's the point? anyway. Her dad wants me to read "The Gospel according to Jesus." Apparently its a popular one. (cite wikipedia)

The name bothers me. What kinda stupid name. . .so that's a strike against the guy. The blood is strike one. Even though he recanted. . .still, what type of. . .anyway. So, basically I will try to make it through the book. Everything I have read (not much) makes it sound ok. So if he doesn't tear apart my Bible then I anticipate making it through. Of course I doubt hes KJB. Why would he be?

So I just read his doctrinal statement on the Bible. . . . . . . .it was predictable. Anyway, I should probably read the rest of it sometime. I will. The thing that really really gets me is that he is popular. I find it incredibly hard for me to trust him. I don't know anything, but the facts that A) he was too far off on the blood, B) he recanted, and C) he's popular. I'm sure hes on on several things. But I would rather be reading someone that's dead. That's it. I would rather be reading someone that is dead so I know EXACTLY what they believed. Wescott and Hort don't have a way out, b/c they are dead and they can't recant. So....I'm done with MacArthur for now.

Well, not quite. Why does the name of the book bother me? One b/c people have been trying to do that for years. Some of the first works in the first centuries were titled "The Gospel according to xxx." These were often blasphemous, and seriously. . .why would you name a book title with the same name as the books of the Bible? And further, why would you dare use the name "Jesus"? The Gospel according to Jesus, God the Father, and Holy Spirit is in my hands!! It is in my car, and next to my bed, and on the shelf. And MacArthur wasn't around when it was written. It speaks to his character. And it bothers me. Ok, now I am done with MacArthur.

I hear there are some homestarrunner things I haven't seen yet. I'll have to do that soon.

WoW is boring, but I am a GM of a guild again. I feel bad b/c its been almost 6 days since I've been on, but /shrug, these guys aren't even anyone I really care about so I don't feel to bad. I just needed something to do, and be in charge of, and fix.

If I asked you to use 1 word to describe me, what would it be? I got a variety of responses at work today. I was aiming for merry, but no one said that. I'm not quite sure if merry is a Biblical thing to be. . .haven't really decided that one. But I'm working on being happy and jolly and merry. Someone said I was smug. . .that's ok, I guess.

I need to go to bed. I will ttyl. Have a good month.

4 comments:

Joe said...

I cant beleive you are still holdign a grudge. The guy is a young Christian who made a rash statment; that, I might add, is partially accurate. We tend to come across as arrogant people. I think you need to forgive him and be the mature Christian we all should be in this stage of our lives. He on the other hand is a very young Christian and if you like it or not is going to be your cousins husband. Get over the past and grow up. I am not mad at you just suprised and disappointed. What time are we meeting on friday?

VanSneak said...

I thought "courting" was what lawyers and judges did.

michael said...

Dave... lol, could you be any more addle-minded about this girl? Ah, but it's fun to see.

About the other thnig, let's not do this online, since I will win and embarrass all opponents to my view, and I don't like doing that to you guys. ;P

I smell conference call. Btw, I can clear up why certain people are still upset, if certain other people are still wondering. I have a little thing called intuition, my friends. And not the girly kind, 'cause that would be weird.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.