Thursday, October 8, 2009

long time ago in a state far far away. . .

I blogged.

I have missed blogging. I have wanted to blog for some time. I have ideas and strands of thoughts throughout the day and yet I cannot remember them when I am home. Blogger is blocked at school for some odd reason, and so my "brilliant" ideas are just lost.

Music has been on my mind for some time. Chapel here is. . .different. We listen to and "sing" music that I grew up calling "bad music." Now, there was nothing morally wrong with it, and I understand that, but I also understand the principle of the music. At the same time, the guy who leads the music would probably find our type of hymns and traditional worship music lacking the energy and the excitement that he currently expresses and wants to express in worship. So, is he wrong? Can I say he is wrong? Back in the (I think I have my dates right here) late 1600's people first started singing in Baptist churches. That was not included in church services. Then, people began singing things that were not the psalms. Imagine the controversy! People writing songs and them being sung in the church. What now? We accept a piano and organ. That is all I grew up with in church. What about a orchestra? Sure, we accept that too. Well, at least some of us. What about a guitar? What makes a guitar different than other stringed instruments? What about drums? I remember church shopping and not even staying for the service because there were drums and the sanctuary was darkened. Maybe there were more reasons...I was young.

So, what music should be in church? Is music one of those things that is determined within a social context? The pronunciation of words and the use of hand/head gestures here and around the world do not mean the same nor have the same offense to each one. Music is different within different cultures. The man who leads the music here also teaches Spanish. He told his class that almost all Spanish music was the same. Dances just changed moves. That was in general, but think about the cultural difference. They always have an upbeat music, and their culture is energetic and more colorful than northern MI. Does this mean it is bad? /shrug What are we looking at to determine "bad" music? And now, when I say "bad" I mean morally wicked music? Is there a music line between home and worship? We listen to some mannheim steamroller, and snoopy jazz at home. Why don't we listen to that to truly good lyrics in church? Why is one right and another not? We (used loosely) we're brought up this way. We listened to different things at home and at church. We were told and taught that once the music in a church goes, so does the Bible and all forms of separation. I can sympathize. That is experiential truth. We have heard about and seen that happen. But is it because of what the music symbolized then? It was rebellious to hear or play rock. Is it still? Isn't the rebellious stuff rap and heavy metal? Or is rock still bad? Why was rock bad? Because of the inherent wickedness in the melodies? Or because of the rebellion that it represented?

What is safe? It is safer to not listen to rock, rap, etc? If it is only safer, then we should not be condemning others for listening to and utilizing it in worship. Are we naive enough to think that David really danced to no beat? That in the worship of God, it is not so much the beat as it is the heart? Of course, it has always been the heart. But does God condemn music with off beats? We aren't told that. We are told to make a joyful noise. Sing. Praise. Songs and Hymns. What defines a hymn? Does the inclusion of the word hymn negate or qualify the word song? I don't think so. What are we left with? Do we have warrant from Scripture to say that this other type of music is bad? What type of music is right? Where are the morals? Where is the chapter and verse?

Practicality. Some music is not meant to be sung by a group(congregational). The song is not written that way. Some songs aren't. We "sing" things in chapel that are really not congregational songs. We don't know where he is going with the song. It is a solo, or band number. That type of thing is not practical. Is it wrong to have that song as a special though? What about music preferences? Everyone has them. I dislike much of the music I hear on TV or radio. It annoys me and I can't stand it. I dislike the music played during chapel. It gets under my skin. It bothers me. It is not my preference. But hymns may not be others preferences. Must they conform? Culture makes a big difference in music taste.

Thoughts...but no conclusion, I apologize. I can't condemn it. I think in practicality that certain types of songs need to be avoided in congregational worship because they do not lend themselves to being sung together. But other than that, I have nothing at the moment.

No comments: